The latest “buzz” word…MINDFULNESS.
As a former professional athlete, I learned the power of focus or “mindfulness” long ago. In short, I may not have been the best athlete, but I was determined, focused and willing to do what others would not in order to achieve my dreams.
The sport of racquetball is extremely fast paced and requires a player to develop laser like “mindfulness”. Where else can you experience a ball flying around you at 100mph, ricocheting off multiple walls with as many as three other people in a small 20 x 20 x 40 area? Priceless!
Many of these same principles are applied during my wellness and life coaching. I continually emphasis the power of focusing on one thing and utilize mindfulness and visualization in order to achieve the desired results. Shut off the distractions and quiet the chatter. Be aware. Be in the moment. Remember, we are human beings …”be”ings. Recharge and know it’s good to just “be” sometimes.
Continuously overloading our mind and body creates an environment that is an incident or crisis waiting to happen. Add the fact that most people are sleep deprived and nutritionally challenged and it’s clear to see this is not a drug deficiency but a lifestyle issue.
Perhaps you read the January TIME magazine cover story: “The Mindful Revolution”. Supported by studies and fact, businesses and the military are taking notice of the numerous benefits associated with being mindful. Within the article, the following “Mindfulness” numbers appeared:
- 4 BILLION spent on related medical treatments
- Nearly 1000 Certified Instructors
- 477 Scientific Journal Articles in 2012
Another media post: Harvard Business Review: Mindfulness in the Age of Complexity
Below are a few bullets highlighted in the HBR article:
- Mindfulness is the process of actively noticing new things. When you do that, it puts you in the present. It makes you more sensitive to context and perspective. It’s the essence of engagement.
- Better performance. It’s easier to pay attention. You remember more of what you’ve done. You’re more creative. You’re able to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. You avert the danger not yet arisen. You like people better, and people like you better, because you’re less evaluative. You’re more charismatic.
- Imagine that your thoughts are totally transparent. If they were, you wouldn’t think awful things about other people. You’d find a way to understand their perspective.
- Question the belief that you’re the only one who can do it, that there’s only one way to do it, and that the company will collapse if you don’t do it. When you open your views to be mindful, the stress just dissipates.
- Life consists only of moments, nothing more than that. So if you make the moment matter, it all matters. You can be mindful, you can be mindless. You can win, you can lose. The worst case is to be mindless and lose. So when you’re doing anything, be mindful, notice new things, make it meaningful to you, and you’ll prosper.
Are you interested in learning how begin the process of TAKE CARE OF YOU? If not now, when? Wellness is a behavior and I train on how to achieve it. Utilize my three decades of coaching experience and a lifetime of living a wellness lifestyle. Rest assured, my passion and purpose to empower you with my TCOY philosophy and lifestyle is life changing. However, ACTION IS REQUIRED!
TCOY Wellness is Total Well Being…mind, heart and body. If you don’t take care of your body, where will you live?
Contact me at: 913-709-6059
Coach Lucy is in!