The beauty of SERVE is inescapable simplicity and actionable clarity.
Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller capture, “The Secret,” of leadership in five letters, SERVE.
See the future: envision and communicate a compelling picture of a preferred future.
- What do I want to be true of the future?
- Why should anyone care?
- How will progress be measured?
Engage and develop others: recruit and align people for the right job. Create environments where people bring vision to life.
- What invited my engagement in the past?
- Which of these factors are missing in those I lead?
- How can I help teams and individuals grow?
Reinvent continuously: continuously focus on improvement.
- How do I need to change?
- Where do I want different outcomes?
- What organizational changes will accelerate progress?
Value results and relationships: generate measurable results and cultivate great relationships.
- Which is my personal bias as a leader – results or relationships?
- How can I compensate for the area that’s not my personal strength?
- What happens if I don’t broaden my definition of success?
Embody values: live fully aligned with stated values.
- What values do I want to drive behaviors in my organization?
- How can I communicate these values?
- What are my actions communicating?